Saturday, March 14, 2009

Water, water (not) everywhere...

Not only has everyone given up hope that I will ever post again on this blog, but I have also failed in my resolution to include a picture of all the visitors that pass through Ixtlan. Sorry to Loren and Besty Shrenck, Julie Haerr, and Mike and Sharice Reinhard. Also, my deep apologies to Mike and Deb Leman.

Loren and group were here for an eye clinic. Loren does examinations on Monday and then does surgeries on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I believe he did 13 surgeries this time. I am not sure exactly. He does a great job and has helped a lot of people over the past 6 or 7 years.

It was nice to have people in the house for the week and to get to know them better. They were the last visitors for the month of Febuary. They left the 28th. I am always guaranteed some great treats when they are here (they made some tasty strawberry jam this time which I am enjoying a lot).

I had a couple of days off to regroup and to get used to being alone again and then Mike and Deb came from Denver. Mike is our elder, so we were able to take advantage of the time have Communion. We appreciate his willingness to share with us here in Ixtlan as well as Barra Vieja, Morelia, and Magdalena. Pray for him and his work here in Mexico. It is demanding but so rewarding.

In other news. We have been without water from the city since Monday. That means this is day six without having my little black water holder on top of the roof filled by the city.

I am having company this weekend, so I just decided to climb up and see how much what I have. (Climbing up to the roof is a little more difficult than one may think. Of course, on could get a ladder, but that would take too much work, so I have to literally pull myself up onto the roof.) Anyway, I was pleased, and I am sure Jan will be as well, to find that I have about half a tank left. That should get me to next Friday, but I certainly hope we have water again by then. Here are some pictures from my trip to the roof.



Here is the 'tinaco' as it is called here in Mexico, otherwise know as the 'little black water holder' on top of the roof. Turns about to be about as high as my chin, so 'little' might not be the right word here.



Here is a picture of the inside. You can see all the nice clear water, just waiting to be used up, just not too quickly.

So, hopefully the water comes back soon. Until then we practice a life of conservation. It is probably good practice for me. You would be surprised how little water you actually need for dishes, bathing, brushing your teeth. A little can go a long way. And no, this isn't the water we drink, otherwise there would be some bigger problems.

Enjoy the abundant water up there.

Prayer:
1. Pray for our perseverence here. Pray that we don't let Satan get us down. Pray that we keep our eyes on the cross and that we don't loss track of the reason we are here. Pray for strong purpose in our work and in our lives.

2. Pray for wisdom in seeing how God is working in the the community here in Ixtlan. Pray that we would wouldn't fight against God's work, but be willing to go where he is leading us.

2 comments:

mark and angie said...

Glad to hear you are at least still bathing and brushing your teeth! :)
Thanks for the post.
Miss ya!
Ang

Davisqerl said...

Glad to hear you are at least still bathing and brushing your teeth! :) Thanks for the post. Miss ya! Ang