Wednesday, September 16, 2009

To parade or not to parade....

Yes, that was the question this morning.

Today is the 16th of September, the Mexican Independence Day. It is tradition that the schools all gather and parade through the town after a civil presentation in the plaza. So, the kids have been busy learning how to march in formation, learning the different commands, and staying in good order. They have improved a lot actually. Today we all met at the school and went to the plaza, the kids all excited about the parade. But....

The parade was cancelled. Last year in the parade in Morelia, the capital of Michoacan (our state), there were some bombs, or grenades thrown which killed several people. It was the result of fighting drug cartels from what I have understood. So, as a matter of safety, the parades this year were cancelled. So, here in Ixtlan, we just had an Acto Civico, as they are called and then, for the kids, and Lizet, their teacher (who was very sad not to march), we paraded back to the school. The kids did very well and even got some confetti (a parade must around here) thrown on them by the Gonzalezes as we passes their store.

So all in all, it was a good day. And much to your excitement, maybe, I have some pictures for you.



This isn't the parade, just me with the kids.



Here are the kids at the Acto Civico in the plaza. They were a little disinterested, but it all went well.



Here the kids are parading back to the school. It was a little confusing at first because we had to get out of all the people in the plaza.



Here are the kids again, just a little closer so that you can see them better.

Prayer:

Pray for these families. They are being introduced to Jesus and the hope that He gives the world maybe for the first time. They also face a level of persecution form the community about putting their children in a Christian school. Pray that, above all, they respond to the gospel of Jesus.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

Que gaupo maestro Felipe!

mark and angie said...

LOVE the pictures! And, I agree with Jodi (in English, though), you look quite snazzy in your marching/teaching uniform! :)
Funny thing, right before I checked your blog, I was looking at my calendar and noticed it was "Independence Day (Mexico)" and I wondered if you were doing anything...I got my answer! Thanks for the update!
Love ya,
Ang

Mom said...

I sure am glad to know what Jodi said, and you sure do look good in your independence day suit. I like the pictures, would you e-mail me one of the 1st grade class with you in it. Glad you got your tickets bought. I can't wait love you Mom

Shawn said...

LOVE the pictures! And, I agree with Jodi (in English, though), you look quite snazzy in your marching/teaching uniform! :) Funny thing, right before I checked your blog, I was looking at my calendar and noticed it was "Independence Day (Mexico)" and I wondered if you were doing anything...I got my answer! Thanks for the update! Love ya, Ang