Sunday, December 5, 2010

Food...mmmmmm

Ahh, food...The main thing that I have to worry about getting done each day. (My days are obviously not too busy here yet!)  Although I, Regg speaking here, am enjoying the fruits of the extra time...cookies with coffee in them?!  Two of the best things in the world combined in one...YES!!!  Oh, and there is lots, lots more.

This is our option in Ixtlan of where we COULD get our meat.....but, big surprise, we choose not to.  We get most of our staples, like sugar, flour, eggs, bread, milk, etc. here in Ixtlan.  The market here has lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, which is pretty nice.  Meat, on the other hand, is purchased in Zamora at either Wal-Mart or Aurrera, which is like a Wal-Mart.  We get most of our packaged groceries there.  We usually go about once every week or two.  It's certainly been interesting trying to cook following some American recipes.  I bet people don't realize that EVERY (ok, maybe not every, but close to it) recipe calls for mushroom soup and/or mushrooms, which I really don't like.  So no problem, just substitute cream of chicken soup, right?  Wrong. Yes, you can get cream of chicken, but guess what it has in it.....yep, mushrooms.  So, thanks to a wonderful friend who sent me a recipe, I now make my own cream of chicken soup.  There are several other foods that we can't get here, like crescent rolls, Velveeta cheese, Bisquick... But I've learned that recipes do turn out (how they're supposed to....?), even if you substitute for a lot of the ingredients!  I've actually substituted ingredients to make a different substitute!!  Most of the ingredients that we can't get here, are just products that are more convenience items, so it's back to cooking from scratch for most of it.  It keeps life interesting!! (at least mine)

Check in next week for: 

I SPY (The Trash Version)

10 comments:

Anita said...

Wow, those pig heads look scrumptious!! I don't understand why you wouldn't want to buy meat there!?! Haha! You're going to have to help me become a better cook once you move back (hint hint). Love you guys and can't wait to play I SPY:-)
Anita
p.s. do I win a prize for being the first commenter? por favor??

Unknown said...

Hey Regg!!! Great to read up on the goings on. Glad to see you two settling in, hope to visit again although it'll be a little different with you, Evan and Colin all married :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Gross picture.
I hope you couldn't smell them.

BUT... I studied new relationships for a while, and one way to dramatically increase the trust and bond level (which is good for a new marriage, yes?) is to participate in an experience that is challenging and new to each partner.

SO. Why do I mention this, you may ask? Purchasing meat at the Ixtlan market would fit the bill. (Make sure to cook it WELL!) After a while, this might get old and unchallenging ... that is when I expect you to go big or go home. A Ixtlan meat market pig head - with an apple in its mouth - on your dining table - all decked out for dinner. Say, by Easter?

Think of how fantastic this would be for your marriage! My, I can just imagine how close, and strong, and bonded this would make your relationship.
Pictures, of course, would be required for your blog stalkers *cou*readers*gh*.
:)

Regg and Bev said...

Attention all comment-ers:

It is totally NOT cool to post and then remove. We will be launching a full investigation to find out who chickened out...or you could just repost:)

Missy said...

Can't wait to see what you're bringing to the family Christmas dinner. I'm sure your dish will outshine all ours, since you're becoming such the gourmet cook!
Love ya lots,
The Benware gang

Mom said...

Maybe you should just jump ship and start liking mushrooms!!!! great post and since I have been to Ixtlan I will have to encourage you to just buy your paackagaed meat!!! Love you Mom

kathy said...

Regg and Bev
I just found your blog! I will be checking up on you occasionally and sending up prayers when I do. This is a great way to remind us to pray for the work being done in Ixtlan and also for your marriage.
Love, Kathy

Anonymous said...

Cindy just told us about your blog! Our kids are picky eaters but I think even we would pass on the pig! We enjoyed reading about your experiences - makes our day seem boring!!! Also makes you seem not so far away! Take care and we'll keep reading!

Neil & Sandy

Anonymous said...

The pig heads, . . . would make me real content traveling a few miles to get packaged meat. It was fun to hear about your cooking/baking adventures. We will be excited to taste(well maybe, depending on what it is) a new Mexican dish at Christmas! We love you, W&C JNNJIJ Schlatter