Saturday, February 19, 2011

Thorn to the Head

It was a very normal week here. Something that hasn't happened for a while. Jeff left on Monday and we regrouped from having visitors for the previous 3 weeks. We have just enough time to get back into the routine of things before the next round of visitors, which starts on Thursday. More information on who those visitors are when that happens. (We've got to keep some suspense here...)

I thought I would share a little story from our hike up La Mula, the mountain, last Friday (and hence the name of the post). We had made it up the mountain fine, had spent some time enjoying the weather and view from the top, and were on our way back down when I, Regg, stumbled. Now before you go forming ideas or comments about how clumsy I am, please take into account the fact that the trail is actually pretty bad and that when it gets dry here, all the stones loosen up and the dirt gets all worked up so that in some places there is no other option than to ski a couple of feet with each step. So, as the story goes, I stumble and veer off to the left of the trail in a desperate attempt to regain my balance, crash into some branches of some sort of woody vegetation, juke to the right with a little spin move to escape the branches, almost wipe out on the right side of the trail, and finally get my feet to catch up with my body. I survived the stumble while remaining on my feet even.


I was feeling good except for what felt like a scratch across my forehead. I reach up to feel it and found a piece of wood. It didn't just wipe off so I figured I had a bigger problem and turned to my back-up crew. Well, to make a long story short, it wasn't just a piece of wood. It was a thorn about 1 cm long stuck straight into my head. I think my skull stopped it. After a bit of work, my medics, specifically, Bev, pulled it out, and we were on our way again.


That was the big news of the hike.


All that we've heard on the house is that it will be longer still and that even then, who knows. For those who feel out of the loop, the people who are now renting the house that we plan to rent are not yet out. They are building their own house and are trying to get everything finished before they move in. That means that what was originally a Christmas/January move in date was pushed back to February, which was pushed back to maybe March or April. We don't really know and now are thinking about checking out some other options. We don't really know what exactly will happen at this point. So keep praying for our patience in the waiting. We appreciate all the prayers as we continue to adjust to everything down here and where our lives are heading as we move on.
We hope that all is going well up there and the weather is warming up some. We're hoping that it is nice and warm when we are up there in April.

7 comments:

Anita said...

Wow Regg, it's a good thing Bev has such medical experience! Sounds like quite an adventure. Hopefully the thorn wasn't from the killer plants. Remember those?? So good to hear from the two of you!
love ya,
Anita

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are well on your way to becoming an apostle, Regg... maybe you should have prayed three times and then not let anyone remove it if you want to be like Paul. Keep it in mind for next time.

But good work, Bev! I'm glad you were there! Pending apostle-ship and all, I'm thankful it wasn't more serious. :)

Missy said...

See, it just proves, exercise can be dangerous. That's why I try to avoid it!!!

Christy said...

Pshhh! Clumsy! Who would stumble descending La Mula?!?! ;)

Anonymous said...

Bev to the rescue!! Glad you didn't break any bones, Regg. We have been doing some tumbling here oursevles, but we have ice to blame right now. Didn't you say you would send some warm weather up our way? We are still waiting, . . . Take Care!
We love you, Warren & Cindy JNNJIJ

Anonymous said...

Remember when your dad told you that you needed a wife like you needed a hole in the head...well, now you've got both!
Kent

Mom said...

Glad to report that Regg is healing wonderfully. It was great to be with them!!!! Love Mom